Thursday 22 August 2013

Chelsea Manning formerly Bradley

So there is a big uproar the last few days.  A man who worked in the USA government Bradley Manning who is now in jail for leaking information has come out as Transgendered.

Now sometimes it takes awhile. The will to tell. Or maybe Chelsea (new chosen name for her) was told it was wrong. Maybe Chelsea was told it was bad. Maybe Chelsea didn't have family that was accepting. Either way it has come out now. 

I don't follow a lot of politics. Especially USA politics since I'm Canadian, but I hear a bit here and there. My biggest sadness was that the bug news stations like CNN, ABC world news, HLN were referring to Chelsea as he. 

The worst thing for a transgendered person who comes out is to call them the birth sex. It would be like being called the  wrong sex. It would hurt, sting, make you angry. 

For me I see this first hand with B. we are going to get our psych assmessent. B told the Dr that it hurts when teachers call him a girl. When his teachers laugh and call him a girl and don't listen. It hurts his feeling when his friends make fun of him and call him a girl... It hurts so bad that my 5 year old has been hurting himself. My 5 year old has been self abusing. It makes me wonder what Chelsea has gone through all these years. 

And yes. We got our diagnoses. B is transgendered. My TransBoy. We will start kindergarden as a boy and work our way to good mental health and healing. 

I pray that Chelsea can get some counselling and healing too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment