Friday 24 May 2013

Homophobic grandpa

So child's grandpa is old school. Very homophobic. He won't accept child. Calls child by child's birth name, not child's chosen name.

Two days ago we were over and grandpa asked child why child thinks child is a boy. Then asked child if child has boy parts. I was so proud of my child. Child looked at grandpa and walked away.

Last night on the phone grandpa asked me what bathroom child will use when child starts kindergarten. Telling me child will get beat up if child uses the boys room.

We got our referral as well for the developmental ped. Our family doctor thinks she will be able to help out with this and her anger issues.

Now to just relax. And be calm and carry on.

2 comments:

  1. When I was a child, I walked away from situations like that as well. Those situations made me flinch and hide my true self for years and years, until depression made me confront my self as an adult.

    Please support your child with what he is feeling and going through, and what gender he wants to be. Please don't let him become shut away because of the ignorance of others. If his gender expression is who he is, it will be permanent, and making him hide will make his life so, so so much worse for years on end. That's what happened to me.

    Lots of supportive thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do support him however i can. I try to keep interactions with my dad to a limited amount.

      Delete